Currently closed due to Covid-19
Located in the heart of Holualoa, Immaculate Conception was built in 1880 to service the Portuguese and Filipino immigrants working in the coffee plantations. The frame church was destroyed by fire on December 6, 1943. Under the direction of Father Benno Evers, it was rebuilt with the help of the military within eight months; an on-site plaque dates the construction.
Immaculate Conception is the second largest church of St. Michael’s Parish. It is surrounded by church property. The two houses on the north previously housed nuns from the Sisters of the Holy Family and Maryknoll Missions. Today a house to the south and north serve as rectories for St. Michael’s Parish. There is also an on-site meeting hall—all structures have panoramic views of the Kona Coast.
Weekly Mass is held at Immaculate Conception and it serves as the mauka (mountainside) hub of St. Michael’s Parish with numerous weddings and Spanish quinceanera (coming of age ceremonies).
Find more info on St. Michael’s mission churches in the 2009 book, “North Kona’s Catholic Heritage….remembered.” It’s for sale in the parish office and bookstore on the grounds of St. Michael’s Church in Kailua-Kona, 326-7771.